The recent Query Parameters UI is awesome! However, it’s difficult to use in the dashboard UI, especially when many queries use the same parameters.

The proposal here is to have a way to set query parameters in the dashboards ui and have multiple queries use the same query parameters.

The following is an example of a dashboard that doesn’t need to have multiple places to set Query Parameters and could do with only a Dashboard level query parameter UI.

2 Likes

I agree. The current implementation was a compromise to deliver the feature, but it’s definitely not done and I want to implement “dashboard level parameters”. I’m still thinking about the UX, on how it should be enabled –

• Should we automatically aggregate all parameters from all queries?
  • Allow the user to choose which ones he wants at the dashboard level?
  • Other?

I’m no UI expert, but I would expect that all parameters from all queries would be automatically aggregate because the dashboard is already deep-linkable and by not aggregating all parameters, it may break that feature. Also, similar parameters would be merged into 1 field. Logically this makes sense.

As far as what the best UI experience would be, this may get very bulky very quickly. It may make sense to have default values when creating the dashboard and not allowing the consumer to edit those values.

You can grab some ideas about UX/UI here - https://doc.periscopedata.com/doc/custom-filters

Not really – in Periscope queries are always part of some dashboard. So it makes sense to create parameters at the dashboard level and then reuse them in the query.

In Redash a query has life of its own.

I’m loving the Query Parameters UI. The attached image shows me using a single query with a single parameter and several visualizations. Looks good but the visualization titles and visualization parameters takes up a lot of screen real estate making the dashboard verbose

I have some suggestions on how to improve this:

• Allow the query parameters to be included in the dashboard description e.g. “Summary of product usage for domain {{domain}}” so the description can document the parameters.
  • If a query parameter is included in the dashboard description then hide that query parameter in the visualizations contained in body of the dashboard (as the params are duplicates).
  • If all the visualizations in the body come from the same one query, only show the query name once

This is functionality we are looking at implementing.
If anyone is working on this, please let us know so we can co-ordinate efforts.
That being said, we haven’t started working yet, but will post details to a public branch once we start / have something to show.

Regarding the promotion of values to the dashboard level, we think that prefixing variables with _ would be a good way to do this:
{{_timefrom}}

This way it’s is under user control what is per-widget and what is dashboard global.

2 Likes

I started using query parameters and it is amazing! I’m still getting how the project workflow is structured.

Where should I keep updated about features like this one?

any updates on whether or not this is being worked on?

I’ve implemented this here: https://github.com/getredash/redash/pull/1504

Video of the feature here: https://goo.gl/photos/3eXQRnJFuoyh4TRs5

When we use text parameter, query is executing all again. My data source is huge and it takes a lot of time to fetch result.Any inputs on this?

Splunk is my favorite UI for configuring dashboard level parameters that also supported url parameters. That’s effectively what powers their drilldown features from dashboard to dashboard.

Any updates here?
I want to use high level parameters in my dashboard but it also present them in each one of the queries which is unnecessary and takes screen.

1 Like

This feature was already implemented and is documented here.

1 Like

You are right! Thank you!
I also have a need to leave the parameter box empty and that it won’t filter at all.
Do you know how can I do it? I tried to look for a solution in the documentation and blog and couldn’t find =/

I don’t think you can do that :frowning: it won’t let you run the queries unless you fill all the parameters.

What version of redash have this dashboard level parameter feature.

It’s been available since V7.