I am looking for more specific information on using SES as my mail server. I set it up as per the instructions, but it still is not working.

Did you restart the services (workers & web server) after changing configuration?
Can you share the configuration you used? (just omit the sensitive parts)

Sure. I used the one directly from the docs, but added my info as below(then rebooted, since it was a tiny instance). I have also tried removing “export”. I know I’m probably just overlooking something small.

export REDASH_MAIL_SERVER=“server from SES on AWS console” # default: localhost
export REDASH_MAIL_PORT=“25” # default: 25
export REDASH_MAIL_USE_TLS=“True” # default: False
export REDASH_MAIL_USE_SSL="" # default: False
export REDASH_MAIL_USERNAME=“Creds from AIM SES creation” # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_PASSWORD=“password” # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_DEFAULT_SENDER="myemail@email.com" # Email address to send from

export REDASH_HOST=“FQDN listed in console” # base address of your Re:dash instance, for example: “https://demo.redash.io

1 Like

So, I scrapped the marketplace install and went with the AMI link from the manual. Works like a charm. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! :slight_smile: If I ever get some time, I will figure out what’s needed to be done to submit ours to the marketplace…

1 Like

I am also using SES and I have configured my server just like Ryan (with my own creds, of course). When I use the test command to test my server…bin/run ./manage.py send_test_mail

I get the following error:

[2016-08-01 07:26:46,398][PID:3669][WARNING][redash.query_runner] Hive query runner enabled but not supported, not registering. Either disable or install missing dependencies.[2016-08-01 07:26:46,429][PID:3669][WARNING][redash.query_runner] Microsoft SQL Server query runner enabled but not supported, not registering. Either disable or install missing dependencies.

and then the server just hang there…Any help will be appreciated.

These messages are just warnings and can be ignored (unless you need to use Hive or SQL Server connectors).

As for email problems – if it hangs and doesn’t return to the command line, it might be waiting on a timeout which means you have issues with connecting to SES. I can’t think of any other reason for it to hang.

Did the email go thru though?

I used my Gmail account and it worked. I will try the SES again later. Thank you!

Hi,

This is an old topic but just wanted to confirm that using SES seems to work. I have some weird errors during the send_test_mail and manage.py, which suddenly started saying. Errno 111: Connection refused, even telnetting to the mail server to port 25 for instance in this case seemed to work.

Nevertheless the mail sending from the console works. I used the inputs below. Note that your mail server may vary depending on the AWS region and others of course by AWS SES setup.

Remember to verify your sender email first or will not work. You’ll get a proper error message saying so as well though.

export REDASH_MAIL_SERVER=“email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com” # default: localhost
export REDASH_MAIL_PORT=“25” # default: 25
export REDASH_MAIL_USE_TLS=“True” # default: False
export REDASH_MAIL_USE_SSL=“False” # default: False
export REDASH_MAIL_USERNAME=“smtp_username” # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_PASSWORD=“smtp_password” # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_DEFAULT_SENDER=“your_verified_sender@from_aws_ses” # Email address to send from

export REDASH_HOST=“http://redash.your.domain” # base address of your Re:dash instance, for example: “https://demo.redash.io

It’s worth noting that if you are self-hosting redash on EC2, you should not use port 25.

From the SES documentation:

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) throttles email traffic over port 25 by default. To avoid timeouts when sending email through the SMTP endpoint from EC2, use a different port (587 or 2587) or fill out a Request to Remove Email Sending Limitations to remove the throttle.

Hi, I tried using Gmail account but getting “SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.”

I tried with the following config

export REDASH_MAIL_SERVER=“smtp.gmail.com” # default: localhost
export REDASH_MAIL_PORT=“587” # default: 25
export REDASH_MAIL_USERNAME="testemail@xyz.com" # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_PASSWORD=“test_email_password” # default: None
export REDASH_MAIL_DEFAULT_SENDER="testemail@xyz.com" # Email address to send from

export REDASH_HOST=“http://testredash.com/” # base address of your Redash instance, for example: “https://demo.redash.io

What I am missing

Might be worth opening a new thread since this one is specifically about AWS SES, not email in general.

You’re likely being blocked by google. This seems to be a gmail-specific issue, completely unrelated to SES.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

I missed the to set REDASH_MAIL_USE_TLS to true

it is my question, too.
I wonder if you can tell me how you use your gmail account as a mail server?

Hi,
I am using redash using AWS redash AMI and able to configure the SES credentials( not able to see any errors in the UI). However when I try to send email (like password reset ), I am getting the below error

e: Reset your password
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/app/redash/tasks/general.py”, line 57, in send_mail
mail.send(message)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask_mail.py”, line 491, in send
with self.connect() as connection:
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask_mail.py”, line 144, in enter
self.host = self.configure_host()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask_mail.py”, line 158, in configure_host
host = smtplib.SMTP(self.mail.server, self.mail.port)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/smtplib.py”, line 256, in init
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/smtplib.py”, line 317, in connect
(code, msg) = self.getreply()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/smtplib.py”, line 368, in getreply
raise SMTPServerDisconnected(“Connection unexpectedly closed”)
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Is it my Amazon SES terminating the connection ? I am using the port 465