Hi.

I need to query existing queries. I tried QRDS but didn’t succeed. This is what I have done:

I created two queries Query_A (id 16) and Query_B (id 18) which make use of the Python data source like this:

Query_A:

result = {
    "columns": [
        {
          "name": "month",
          "type": TYPE_STRING,
          "friendly_name": "month"
        },
        {
          "name": "apples",
          "type": "integer",
          "friendly_name": "apples"
        },
        {
          "name": "bananas",
          "friendly_name": "bananas"
        }
    ],
    "rows": [
    ]
}

result['rows'].append(
    {
        "month":"jan",
        "apples":1,
        "bananas":2
    }
)

result['rows'].append(
    {
        "month":"feb",
        "apples":3,
        "bananas":4
    }
)

Query_B:

result = {
    "columns": [
        {
          "name": "month",
          "type": TYPE_STRING,
          "friendly_name": "month"
        },
        {
          "name": "apples",
          "friendly_name": "apples"
        },
        {
          "name": "bananas",
          "friendly_name": "bananas"
        }
    ],
    "rows": [
    ]
}

result['rows'].append(
    {
        "month":"feb",
        "apples":10,
        "bananas":20
    }
)

result['rows'].append(
    {
        "month":"mar",
        "apples":30,
        "bananas":40
    }
)

Both queries work as expected. Now I created a query Query_C which makes use of the QRDS data source. This query works:

SELECT * FROM query_16;

Also this query works:

SELECT * FROM query_18;

But this does not work:

SELECT * FROM query_16,query_18;

The error message ist Error running query: no such table: query_18
I got the same error message with using JOIN statement. Is there a way to do queries like this? Also how to create such queries on queries as non tenchical user since this way a marketing guy would have to know about SQL which is rarely the case.
And how about parameters in QRDS queries? I read that parameters do not work (by now). I wonder how can the QRDS feature be usefull without parameterized queries on queries. Any way solve or to workaround this?

Thanks.

What a pitty. As far as I can see what I need is not possible yet. Beside that Redash is awsome and seems to be the tool I am looking for. The bottom line is that the following features would be great:

1. Views across data sources with parameters
  2. JOINs via GUI
  3. Defining foreign keys via GUI

Have you tried following the instructions in our documentation? I would not expect either of the queries you posted to work.

Also…

• QRDS does not support parameters.
  • It is not a visual querying tool.
  • Support for parameters in QRDS is planned and will be announced on the forum when it is released.

If these are requirements for your purposes then Redash is not the tool for you. While we would love to add them, they are not on the development roadmap right now.

Redash is meant for people who love SQL and need to quickly visualize outputs. For a more graphical experience you can try Tableau.

We have a video in the works that will provide a step-by-step tutorial for QRDS.

Thanks for your reply.
Actually the queries worked fine. The python connector is a killer feature. There are some APIs out there that give strange structured responses (e.g. timestamps as field names) and fetching/postprocessing them via python connector is a nice way to solve this. Sure, for techies SQL is not a problem. But redash seems to be hard to use to marketing or management people. They would be restricted to pre-built views.

See above. Redash isn’t built for those users.

1 Like