We have been using re:dash for about a year now at work, mostly for ad-hoc queries for analytics. Now that we are expanding our analytics coverage we are looking to some other tools, like Looker, Metabase, Superset, etc which have a query builder that is easier to use for most non-technical people.

I know that re:dash has the capability as these other tools, would suck to have to trade it in for another one. Has there been any thought to adding a queyr builder into re:dash?

2 Likes

Three years old, but I have to say I find it interesting the lack of interest in this topic. I’ve been using Metabase for quite a while, mainly because my public is mostly business oriented, with no knowledge to write SQL queries.

Even though I like Redash better, it’s currently a no go for me, since it lacks the query builder functionality. My initial impression is that business focused professionals tend not to find Redash, since it tends to talk better to professional programmers, or at least people that have basic programming know how.

From a business point of view, I imagine that having a query builder functionality would make it a lot more appealing to a wider consumer base. Curious on the what’s the reasoning behind the disregard for this feature.

Yes, that’s a major differentiating factor between Metabase and Redash. From what I understand, Redash is built for data analysts who know and love SQL and need the tool to get out of the way.

Precisely! That’s the idea.

I think the reasoning comes down to two points:

1. Redash is made for SQL-native users
  2. Development time is focused on adding features for those users

An interactive query builder wouldn’t hurt. And the team have at times expressed interest in one. But other tools already fulfill this need. There’s plenty of space in the data viz market and no one tool can satisfy all users.

That’s my take on it, anyway.

2 Likes

In my experience, anyone that can grasp the concepts needed to use a “visual query builder” will quickly grasp the basics of SQL. I’ve never actually seen someone use a visual query builder in practice since the effort required is only marginally less than writing a SQL statement and users quickly find it’s faster and more powerful to use SQL directly rather than have to manipulate a UI to generate some SQL in the background.

1 Like

Full agree. Even when I’ve used tools with interactive builders (like Tableau or PowerBI) I’ve always fallen back to writing SQL under the covers.