Parameters Overhaul - UI/UX

Just one suggestion: flip the chain glyph on the vertical axis so that it runs from southwest to northeast. That way it follows the same “trajectory” as the pencil and the slash through the eye glyph.

Yeah I thought that to do that as well :sweat_smile:

A couple small issues with the latest beta version.

Parameter Titles

The parameter Title for static params always retains it’s previous value when switching to a static parameter. So if I switch it from using a Dashboard Level parameter to a static one, the Title is grayed out but still reflects the name of the Dashboard Level parameter. Seems like this should switch back to the parameter keyword in the underlying query instead. WDYT?

Default Values

The Default Value field suggests that I can influence the initial parameter value on a dashboard. But this isn’t the case. For example, if I use a dashboard parameter called “Param1” and it is currently set to Foo then the Default Value column shows Foo. But if I set “Param1” equal to Bar and reopen the parameter mapping panel, the the Default Value now shows Bar. Refreshing the browser page will reset “Param1” to Foo. So the field is really reflecting the current value of the dashboard parameter.

Incidentally, it would be extremely valuable to remember the most recent parameter value selection for dashboards. If I run a dashboard with “Param1” set to Bar then I expect it will remain set to Bar if I navigate away and later return. Right now it doesn’t do that. It pulls the most recent parameter value that was executed from the Query Editor.

If you have two parameters that are linked to the same Dashboard Parameter, that parameter defaults to the most recently executed parameter value of the widget that was added to the dashboard first (sometimes). At other times it seems to pull the parameter value out of recent browser memory. It’s unpredictable.

Can’t add two widgets with the same parameter keyword

This is a bit strange. If I have two queries that use the same parameter keyword, it will not let me add the second widget to the dashboard. I think that it sees the first query has a dashboard parameter that already uses that keyword name. So when the second widget is presented with the same keyword name, it wants to create a new dashboard-level parameter with that name. But such a parameter already exists. This exception has not been handled, so the widget panics.

Typo in documentation link tooltip

There is a typo on the tooltip for the documentation link under the Value Source panel:

paramaters => parameters

Title for static params always retains it’s previous value

This was intentional with the following in mind:

1. The updated title could have been so for months, then when changing to static, suddenly returning to original title - might be unnecessarily confusing.
  2. Once a static value, the title persists, even if the previously mapped to dashboard param changes title subsequently.

the field is really reflecting the current value of the dashboard parameter

Hmm. Naming it “default value” was @arikfr’s request as it was first named “value”. So either the column name is wrong, or the displayed value has a bug. @arikfr is this working as you expected?

It pulls the most recent parameter value that was executed from the Query Editor.

I’ll defer to @arikfr or @levko here.

Can’t add two widgets with the same parameter keyword

I tested that scenario and it seems to work fine. Can you help me reproduce this on netlify preview?

Typo in documentation link tooltip

I’m sorry :confounded:

Yes I will put together an example and share with you.

I am no longer able to reproduce this issue :grinning: