Queries using a specified refresh time seem to be constantly updated, regardless of users viewing the dashboard.
This causes us a lot of issues with db thrashing and bandwidth usage.
Because we use Heroku, we don’t have static IPs. As such, we need a proxy with static IP to permit proper firewalling.
The continual querying means that third-party proxies run out of bandwidth within a day with a single user’s dashboard.
Because of this, we will have to deploy our own - and monitor it.
Even with this, I am concerned about scaling. We will have a linear increase in bandwidth which isn’t sustainable. Not to mention the db degradation as mentioned above.

By the same token, the more queries we create to display more information, the more bandwidth each user will use.

What we need is a way to pause queries when a user is not looking at the dashboard.

The temporary solution may be to disable refresh of our dashboard widgets, but this is something we would prevent users leaving a long term dashboard running on a wall mounted display, for example.

Queries using a specified refresh time seem to be constantly updated, regardless of users viewing the dashboard.

Yes, that’s the purpose of the refresh schedule. We can’t and won’t pause queries that aren’t viewed in a dashboard, because the refresh schedule has other uses which aren’t necessarily related to a dashboard.

I do plan to introduce a way to set a dashboard to auto refresh regardless of the query refresh schedule. So this might be a solution for your problem. But I don’t have an ETA for this.

The continual querying means that third-party proxies run out of bandwidth within a day with a single user’s dashboard. Because of this, we will have to deploy our own - and monitor it.

Why not deploy Redash on a “proper server” then instead of having to mess with proxies and all? These limitations of Heroku are the reason why I didn’t invest much in supporting Heroku in the first place. You either get a limited environment or it starts to cost too much (compared to your own server or hosted Redash).