We provide financial booking services for vacation rental companies and have a bunch of data which our customers create and wish to query and visualize through a business intelligence tool.

At the moment we don’t have any way of providing them a way to query their payments, bookings etc.

Can redash be configured to give our users their own dashboard with a single install?

Or would we need to use something like docker to spin up a new redash per customer? I’ve tried searching for discussion on this point but have been unable to find a best practice for getting our customers their own redash connected to their own data.

Finally, we are flexible in what data source we use, so suggestions also welcome.

Hi,

Just to understand better the use case: do you want your users to be able to use all of Redash features, each on his own data, or you want to build dedicated dashboards for them?

I definitely should have clarified more.

I would like to provide a way for our customers to inherit a selection of example visualisations on their data.

Most users will be happy to just view what we provide by default, but some users want to be able to create their own queries and charts on their own dashboard.

I do not want our users to configure their own data sources, or groups or users. We should have that all set up for them… but being able to create new views is important.

(The data we hold for them are payment data/sales, search data for their websites, server logs, etc) so providing business intelligence on this is what the aim in.

At the moment we just provide static reports without any interactiveness.

Hope this explains our use case.

Got it :thumbsup: If you were looking just to provide them with a few dashboards, then I would’ve told you that Redash might not be the solution for you :slight_smile:

But what you describe seems to fit Redash’s profile. Redash does have multi-tenancy support, this is what we use to power our hosted version (https://app.redash.io). So you can have a single deployment of Redash, where you create an account for each of your users. Then you can use the API, to create the data sources, user accounts, and default visualizations.

Multi-tenancy is not something we provide support for via the open channels, but you’re welcome to reach out by email (arik at redash.io) and we can discuss this further.

This is a topic that is very interesting for me, too. I’m at a similar crossroad atm. It would be great if it could be discussed in public.

While I also want to allow the users to create their own visualisations, what would be the better solution - which you were thinking about - if the case were only about displaying data in predefined graphs?

1 Like

Bumping up this conversation,

we provide a b2b saas platform to companies in the unstructured(audio/text/video/images/documents) data labelling space for companies adopting AI.

Customers have their own employees or vendor employees who label the data on our platform and while that happens there is lot of activity logs or data logs that gets generated. Either our potential customers can be tenant in our system logically or they have separate deployments in case of on-premises deployments and our frontend app leverages angular stack.

My question is whether open source version of redash be configured to provide each of our customers ability to create,configure and publish dashboards with a single setup such that data is isolated?

Let me know if i am not detailed enough here! Trying to maintain brevity of the query

Yes, because Redash supports multi-tenancy.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood: how is your requirement different than OP?

@jesse Thanks so much for a quick response. 2 follow up questions:-

• Is multi-tenancy supported implementation available in free open source solution on github?
  • Any documentation which points to multi-tenancy capability on how can I achieve the same?

Let’s say our platform has 100 customers. Each customer has their own tenant on our platform. Are there any APIs which can trigger a tenant creation process in the redash deployment. So in this case, our system will have 100 tenants in redash as well.

Apologies, if my queries are too naive!

@jesse @arikfr I understand it might be difficult to process so many queries. A request if possible that i could get a reply soon on the above queries as i am in the process of identifying possibilities of leveraging redash into our platform.

You didn’t answer my question. So I’m assuming your requirement is the same as OP’s from three years ago. In which case, yes Redash can do it because this is how we run app.redash.io today. However, the multi-org behavior is built only to meet our needs. It’s not something we publicly support / document and we don’t guarantee that it will persist in Redash going forward. Use multi-org at your own risk (or fork Redash and write your own).

From what we understand there are not many open source users that enable multi-org (since it’s not really meant for them) :smiley: If you proceed: be prepared to dig through the code to understand what it’s doing on your own.

As a final note: please don’t ping our support channels for help with this. While Arik wrote in 2017:

…Redash has grown substantially since then and we can’t offer free email support anymore.

You are welcome to continue posting questions on the forum.

@jesse Sorry about the confusion. But somehow I didn’t understand the “OP” thing and missed responding to the same so had to ask the query separately while i felt that it was similar but still not enough details. Somehow not easy to figure how to respond inline to the specific part of the post.

On the multi-org thing, ok I understand! I would love to do it sometime but in urgency of implementing through.

On the spamming thing, Let me clarify.

Thought process was whether for now I can use free open-source solution going from x to 10x users(since we have urgency) but if it has pricing in such a way that I would be able to scale up from 10x to 100x via enterprise solution of yours and for that it was first important to know whether the solution even have that capability which fits the requirements as later it would become difficult to switch completely between frameworks.

I will take care this in future and hope to use redash in case possible and will ensure that i don’t spam your support channels.

Thanks for responding back!

1 Like

We want to use the multi org, and we are fine with understanding the code and see how it could fit us, and ideally contributing back with documentation and PRs. But now that there isn’t a hosted version of Redash anymore, do you already have plans/ideas of the direction that this feature is going to go?

Will you deprecate it completely, or is it now something that you want to be more documented and easy to use for the rest of people?

Thanks a lot and sorry for reopening this old topic :slight_smile:

There has been no decision about whether to actually deprecate multi-org in the OSS release. But also no plans to document or support it.

1 Like