Before I ask for feature request here’s some feedback I’m getting from our internal users.

Here’s the query page showing a long description:

In v3 redash, this used to be collapsible, however in v4.0.1 it isn’t. which means the usability is not great. Considering the field accepts markdown, new lines and long lines are absolutely accepted. if there is a way to collapse these descriptions it would be great! If there isn’t a feature for this yet, I’m happy to investigate and contribute code for this.

In V5 we moved the description to the sidebar and here’s how a similar amount of text looks like:

So we solved the issue of pushing down the content, but made the description significantly worse to consume.

If you have any thoughts on how to improve this, I’ll be happy to discuss. If you want to try and improve this, then even better :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. Would it be possible to make this field accept markdown?
  2. What about a way to easily add new lines?

Could you turn the description into a popover modal? The text could stay collapsed on the lower left. But when the user clicks an “Expand” link then it would popover to reveal a rich text description of the query. As it is right now, I don’t feel like I have enough space to fully describe what’s happening with a given query. if I could use markdown (including links and images) that would be especially useful.

1 Like