Query Visualization Link - Linking column to an external URL not working

Hi there,

I have a query visualization where linking a column to an external URL is not working correctly. I referenced data from another column to the column with the link, but I’m getting the following URL:

https://url.com/hardware/{{%20id%20}}

where id ( {{ id }} ) is the name of the column I’m referencing. I checked the column name that I’m referencing and it is correct. See screenshot below:

This was successful on another query visualization I did. However, the column I was referencing was part of the main table I was querying from (ex: FROM table.hardware), while now I’m trying to reference data from a joined table (ex: JOIN table.hardware ...).

Would trying to reference data from one column to another in a visualization link from a joined table interfere with the link creation? Or am I missing something?

I can’t reproduce this.

However, it looks like Redash doesn’t recognize id as a column name. So it URL encodes the contents of your curly brackets (%20 is a url encoded space character).

I tried with a JOIN’d table and it still worked. This is an issue with Redash addressing columns; I don’t think a JOIN makes any direct difference.

For debugging, can you alias the id column to a different name and try again?

Thanks for your response, Jesse, and for trying to replicate the issue.

It seems the source of the problem is the column itself and I’m not sure why Redash is not recognizing it as I have something similar created in another query. I will try recreating the query entirely to see if that changes anything. I’ll post here if it gets resolved.

Thank you again!

I was able to fix this issue.

It turns out the column alias I had for id was AS 'Title ID' instead of just “id.” I didn’t realize that the visualization uses the column alias for the parameter if one is present. I was able to duplicate the issue once again by changing the column alias back to how I previously had it and it gives me the same encoded URL as before.

Thank you again for pointing me in the direction of the column name.

Gotcha. That makes sense. The visualisation doesn’t know the underlying column names in your tables. It only sees the aliases.