Hi support team,

I have just created a Redash Alert. I can see it’s triggered but I don’t receive the notification to my email address. I have checked with our IT team and they don’t see emails being blocked that had my email address on them i.e. it seems Redash is not sending the emails.

I already have my email address as the Redash Alert destination. Still, I don’t receive the notifications.

I have these questions:

• What’s the domain you’re using when sending the email notifications? I’ll tell our IT team to whitelist it just in case they didn’t notice some emails sent before.

• Is there something wrong with the current setting of our Redash? if you contact me directly I can send you my details.

Thanks in advance.

Jorge

How did you install Redash?

Hi Thanks for your reply. It seems mail server is not properly configured. I’ll try to fix it and come back if I need more help. Thanks for your assistance.

1 Like

Hi, now I have more info. Redash was installed in 2017 but have no idea how it was installed and the person who installed it is not here anymore.

Redash version:
current -> /opt/redash/redash.4.0.1.b4038

Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Installation:
/opt/redash/redash.4.0.1.b4038 folder has docker-compose.production.yml and docker-compose.yml but Docker is not installed in the server instance (docker -v). So, I assume Docker wasn’t used to installed this. I can see in AWS that there’s a redash AMI (redash-1-0-1-b2833-eu-west-1 (ami-b37a43d5)) but I couldn’t find this in the AWS public AMIs, so this might be a old one and then updated to version 4.0.1…

Mail server is not configured:

• /opt/redash/redash.4.0.1.b4038 .yml files do not have anything about a mail server.
  • /opt/redash/env
    export REDASH_LOG_LEVEL=“INFO”
    export REDASH_REDIS_URL=redis://localhost:6379/0
    export REDASH_DATABASE_URL=“postgresql:///redash”
    export REDASH_COOKIE_SECRET= XXXXxxxXXXxxxXX

I have been reading some Redash tutorials and forum questions but not sure how to proceed here. I’d like first to config the email server so that alerts can be sent to specific email addresses.

Thanks for your help!

Wow that’s great debugging info :pray: Do you have an SMTP server configured already? You can point Redash at it using the REDASH_MAIL... environment variables (see this list).

Thanks!

Ohh I actually decided to install Redash myself and configure it. It went good. Although, T2.micro instance type was running out of memory and web server wasn’t responding. I upscaled it up to T2.small and it was OK.

Sadly for me, the installation made back in 2017 wasn’t made using Docker as I mentioned in my previous message.

How can I make the environment variables (.env) be read again after I update the file? I know how to do this with Docker, but not if it was manually installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stopping and restarting the service should refresh the environment variables.

Thanks again.

Before doing that, please your help with below questions keeping in mind that Redash is self-hosted:

1. Which file do I need to update? the .env or docker-compose.(production.)yml files?
    /opt/redash/.env
    export REDASH_LOG_LEVEL=“INFO”

/opt/redash/redash.4.0.1.b4038/docker-compose.yml or docker-compose.production.yml
PYTHONUNBUFFERED: 0
REDASH_LOG_LEVEL: “INFO”

1. There are many services running for redash. Which one should I stop and restart? I can see there are many (nginx, redis, postgres, etc)

Thanks again!

Hi @k4s1m, your help would be really appreciated it.

Restart all the services. They all use the same environment.

You set environment variables in the docker-compose.yml file.