I tried setting up redash on my localhost, but it’s asking for login credentials

I tried entering same login credentials am using for signing redash.io, but it fails.

please help me out with this.

After setting up Redash in a new VM a few days ago, it asked me to create an initial account when I first went to it’s web page.

Did yours do that?

No, its just asking me to enter login credentials on both localhost:8080 and localhost:5000

No worries. It sounds like something has gone wrong with your attempt to set it up locally then. :frowning:

Um… which operating system are you using, and which set of instructions did you use for doing the setup? :smile:

1 Like

How did you set it up?

macOS

1. Install docker
  2. Install git

-git clone github.com/getredash/redash.git
-docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml run --rm server create_db
-docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml up
-visit localhost:5000

-npm run start
-visit localhost:8080

-git clone github.com/getredash/redash.git
-docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml run --rm server create_db
-docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml up
-visit localhost:5000

-npm run start
-visit localhost:8080

Ahhhh. What’s probably happening, is the PostgreSQL database it’s using is from an older run, when you were testing things out.

In the docker-compose.yml file, it has these two lines:

volumes:
  - /opt/redash/postgres-data:/var/lib/postgresql/data

In theory, that should mean you now have an /opt/redash/postgres-data directory on your macOS machine, which the docker PostgreSQL stores its data in. When you recreate the docker setup, if you haven’t deleted that directory before hand it’ll just use the existing data.

If you shut down the Docker containers (docker-compose down), then rename the directory to something else and create an empty one in it’s place… that should let the create_db action create a fresh install.

Something like this:

docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml stop
mv /opt/redash/postgres-data /opt/redash/postgres-data-old
mkdir /opt/redash/postgres-data
docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml run --rm server create_db
docker-compose -f docker-compose.production.yml up -d

With that done, when you go to the localhost Redash installation with your browser, it should be a new install and ask you to create an account.

Does that make sense? :smile:

Can you provide me start to end steps to host redash on local host on macOS, there are multiple error am facing while running on redash,
am new to redash and docker.

Error occurred while trying to proxy request /login?next=/ from localhost:8080 to http://localhost:5000/ (ECONNREFUSED) (https://nodejs.org/api/errors.html#errors_common_system_errors)

Hmmm, I can have a go at writing up the steps sometime in the next few days.

I still have outstanding stuff I already need to get done today (a new release for sqlitebrowser.org), and it’ll probably be too late in the evening/morning when I get that finished.

Thinking about this more, it’s probably not something I’m going to put time into after all. I do have access to a mac, but it’s very old, very (very) slow, and my access to it is over a remote connection.

It’d probably take several hours for me to get Docker installed and working properly with that, then to figure out the redash installation + write up instructions.

Although it would be kind of interesting to do… my time is better put into other stuff in the near future. :smile:

Sorry @CGVivek. :frowning:

Thanks, community members I was able to run redash on my localhost. :slight_smile:

Can I use Bigquery as data-source in localhost mode?

Yes. Just make sure you have needed dependencies installed.