I currently had a functional v3 build of Docker Redash.

To get the latest v5 I stopped all my docker instances and did

docker-compose run --rm server manage db upgrade

When I start the docker compose I get this stacktrace

worker_1  | [2018-09-27 03:15:14,806][PID:1][ERROR][MainProcess] Task redash.tasks.refresh_queries[d1658aea-325c-43f2-8bbc-55d57dc09760] raised unexpected: ProgrammingError('(psycopg2.ProgrammingError) column queries.search_vector does not exist\nLINE 1: ...ule_failures, queries.options AS queries_options, queries.se...\n                                                             ^\n',)
worker_1  | Traceback (most recent call last):
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/celery/app/trace.py", line 240, in trace_task
worker_1  |     R = retval = fun(*args, **kwargs)
worker_1  |   File "/app/redash/worker.py", line 71, in __call__
worker_1  |     return TaskBase.__call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/celery/app/trace.py", line 438, in __protected_call__
worker_1  |     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
worker_1  |   File "/app/redash/tasks/queries.py", line 275, in refresh_queries
worker_1  |     for query in models.Query.outdated_queries():
worker_1  |   File "/app/redash/models.py", line 1010, in outdated_queries
worker_1  |     for query in queries:
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/query.py", line 2925, in __iter__
worker_1  |     return self._execute_and_instances(context)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/query.py", line 2948, in _execute_and_instances
worker_1  |     result = conn.execute(querycontext.statement, self._params)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 948, in execute
worker_1  |     return meth(self, multiparams, params)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py", line 269, in _execute_on_connection
worker_1  |     return connection._execute_clauseelement(self, multiparams, params)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1060, in _execute_clauseelement
worker_1  |     compiled_sql, distilled_params
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1200, in _execute_context
worker_1  |     context)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1413, in _handle_dbapi_exception
worker_1  |     exc_info
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 203, in raise_from_cause
worker_1  |     reraise(type(exception), exception, tb=exc_tb, cause=cause)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1193, in _execute_context
worker_1  |     context)
worker_1  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 507, in do_execute
worker_1  |     cursor.execute(statement, parameters)
worker_1  | ProgrammingError: (psycopg2.ProgrammingError) column queries.search_vector does not exist
worker_1  | LINE 1: ...ule_failures, queries.options AS queries_options, queries.se...
worker_1  |                                                              ^
worker_1  |  [SQL: 'SELECT queries.query AS queries_query, queries.updated_at AS queries_updated_at, queries.created_at AS queries_created_at, queries.id AS queries_id, queries.version AS queries_version, queries.org_id AS queries_org_id, queries.data_source_id AS queries_data_source_id, queries.latest_query_data_id AS queries_latest_query_data_id, queries.name AS queries_name, queries.description AS queries_description, queries.query_hash AS queries_query_hash, queries.api_key AS queries_api_key, queries.user_id AS queries_user_id, queries.last_modified_by_id AS queries_last_modified_by_id, queries.is_archived AS queries_is_archived, queries.is_draft AS queries_is_draft, queries.schedule AS queries_schedule, queries.schedule_failures AS queries_schedule_failures, queries.options AS queries_options, queries.search_vector AS queries_search_vector, queries.tags AS queries_tags, query_results_1.id AS query_results_1_id, query_results_1.retrieved_at AS query_results_1_retrieved_at \nFROM queries LEFT OUTER JOIN query_results AS query_results_1 ON query_results_1.id = queries.latest_query_data_id \nWHERE queries.schedule IS NOT NULL ORDER BY queries.id'] (Background on this error at: http://sqlalche.me/e/f405)
worker_1  | [2018-09-27 03:15:14,814][PID:1][INFO][MainProcess] Task redash.tasks.cleanup_tasks[5048af86-525d-4c1c-85af-18d87f7ed370] succeeded in 0.00293156299995s: None

The Queries Table

When I start a new Database instance from scratch (without migration) it seems to be working fine. But I need to migrate the database.

did

docker run -it redash/redash:latest sh

then

cat redash/models.py

and I can see search_vector in the class Query

So I believe I have the Docker Image upgraded properly.

seems 3 > 5 migration has issues, here is my

2 Likes

Hi @parasiil and @srinathganesh ,

i just did the same upgrade one hour ago.
I had to run a two step upgrade : first upgrade to redash v4 with database upgrade and then migrate to v5 and upgrade the db.
And everything went fine.

2 Likes

thanks I’ll try that

How did you pulled v4 with upgrade? some specific --channel as argument?

Following this doc : https://redash.io/help/open-source/admin-guide/how-to-upgrade
I changed the tag of the redash image in my docker-compose.yml, from latest to 4.0.0.b3168
and after all I changed the tag to from 4.0.0.b3168 to 5.0.0.b4754

And here are the available docker images tags : https://hub.docker.com/r/redash/redash/tags/

1 Like

yeah, that’s easy with docker. I am using direct install and have forgotten how to pull earlier versions

found it https://github.com/getredash/redash/releases

v3 -> v4 -> v5 works

1 Like

how did you upgrade from 3 to 4? I installed 3 with the provision script, with seperated psql database. When i run the bin/upgrade it wants to install 5 straight and failed.

Hope you did a backup!

I use Docker. so the docker-compose.yaml file has something like

redash:
    image: redash/redash:5.0.0.b4754

I try to upgrade on a snapshot of the db. So lots of room for failures.

also I had this problem -> I was messing with upgrade and the copy of database got corrupted somehow that upgrades failed. Then I restored database and then upgrade worked fine. see above logs