Instead of returning “Error Running Query : Query completed but it returned no data.” it would be great to return some aspect of what happened (rows updated, rows inserted, table created successfully).

I understand that redash is primarily a visualization tool, however for daily use, having multiple UI’s to access SQL databases is not as efficient. Enabling Redash to perform this function would allow for replacement of both CLI and GUI interfaces for 99% of daily tasks.

The use of an error message to communicate that no results returned is just a workaround we implemented to better support these kind of queries. You’re absolutely right that we should support this better and I’m open to changing the query results result API to support additional types of queries.

When planning the implementation, we need to keep in mind that there are different types of databases that handle this differently and not all query runners will support this immediately.

But I’m open to starting a discussion (and accepting and implementation based on that). We can do it in this thread or open a new issue on GitHub.

Thanks.

Thanks for the offer to discuss. It makes sense that this would have to be handled by query runner as I assume depending on the datasource, the command to return information varies.

Would it be helpful to provide command for some popular data sources?

What do you mean by command?

For command I mean the sequence of python or sql that will return the results desired:

For example mysql-affected-rows for an insert/update or querying stl_insert / stl_query / stl_sessions for a redshift insert/update.