Hi. I’ve tried both and both are quite impressive. Anyone have thoughts on what Redash does better? And where Metabase shines? They seem to have very similar end goals, but I’m curious to hear what you all think. Biased opinions welcomed :o) Thanks.

PS. If you want to include Superset, etc. Feel free.

I have used both in our organisation and redash is still being used. We implemented Metabase more for point and click ad-hoc queries. Redash doesn’t do that yet as you have to write SQL or any other query.
Metabase for us had a lot of limitations and lacked support from community or developers. Simple things like you can’t change first day of week for charts, it is hardcoded at query level to Sunday. Our org. Same with assuming timezones.

Redash for us has value for our analysts writing queries, and dashboards but also we give our entire org access to write and read all data ( queries and dashboards). For PMs and business users, the dashboards are easy to read and refresh. The number of data sources supported is huge as well.

If you have specific use cases, I’m happy to discuss more.

2 Likes

Hi, I use both for two different projects.
Redash because of its ability to export charts as images and its personalization chart possibilities.
Metabase because of its ability to set parameters (as site id, start date and end date) for non connected users in order to really get personalized dashbord.

Both lack a way to show external images (url set in the request result), as beautiful maps from a map server (as qgiserver, geoserver or mapserver).

I’ll have a try to superset.

Can you elaborate on this?

Hi Arik, your question make me search if I mess something and it’s a fact : I mess this line in the 4.0.0 changelog : “Table visualization: Image column type. @kravets-levko

So I have to upgrade and test it. It’s a great thing !
In fact I want to create reports including on the fly generated maps with various layers to illustrate tables of threats ans species lists.
AS this (not so beautiful) map.

The url of thi maps is like this one http://myserver.org/wms/VERSION=1.3.0&MAP=veille_fonciere_dev.qgs&SRS=EPSG:2154&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=798669,6276685,800146,6278109&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=1000&LAYERS=ortho,commune,perimetres_types,bilan_emprise,point_espece&FORMAT=image/png
Some parameters are calculated in the database : map extent (bbox), layers to show.
So I want to retrieve the url in the query and show the map instead of a link.