TLDR;

The idea is to improve the system’s self management by preventing the schedule of the queries which are not anymore useful.

Here at Easy we are using Redash for almost 1 year and a half.

So far, we have already created more than 3K queries, and the number of visualizations (widgets) is almost 3K across 665 dashboards.

Don’t know how big this is among the others that are also using such a great tool like Redash.

The numbers are pretty good from the perspective that we became more data-driven. But we know that 665 dashboards is a huge number of dashboards to keep track. We aren’t using all these dashboards for a while.

Among the business areas, I think that only 10% of the dashboards are still useful. There are a lot of dashboards that do not make sense to keep them alive anymore.

A dashboard alive means:

• one more item dispersing the focus of the user;
  • there are queries associated with the dashboard, they keep running at their schedule and that means unnecessary costs, once that there are nobody following the results.

The idea is to improve the system’s self management by preventing the schedule of the queries which are not anymore useful.

Perhaps related:
Is there a way to see when each Dashboard was last viewed, and how often it has been viewed in the past say week? Does Re:Dash store this data? Such a query would help understand which Dashboards should be retired.
Is there a way to see when each Query was last run / viewed, and how often it has been run / viewed in the past say week? Does Re:Dash store this data?

Hey @PhilipQ, how are you?

So, I used to run a query that retrieves the dashboards ordered by the number of ‘view’ events registered. That query also retrieves me the query IDs of each widget inside the dashboard.
We run this and go out removing the schedule of the queries on each, let’s say, 2 months or less.

I know that I can build a script and schedule it somewhere to run programmatically, but I think that this would be too much better if could be done inside Redash.

If I had time I would already send a PR, but as I haven’t, I decided to put the idea out of my mind, so that way someone else could help on this.