Hello folks,

The query SHOW CREATE TABLE DB.table does not work in Redash. However, in Athena the same query gives the result.

Is there a way to achieve desired behavior?

I had been searching over Github issues https://github.com/getredash/redash/issues and this forum but I haven’t found any related topic. If there some, please share it :slight_smile:

I don’t know Athena. What should the result of this query be? Does it return rows?

Oh, of course. Sorry, I didn’t provide more details in the first post.
Basically, it returns DDL:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE `db.table`(
  `col1` string, 
  `col2` string, 
  `col3` string, 
  `col4` date, 
ROW FORMAT SERDE 
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.parquet.serde.ParquetHiveSerDe' 
STORED AS INPUTFORMAT 
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.parquet.MapredParquetInputFormat' 
OUTPUTFORMAT 
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.parquet.MapredParquetOutputFormat'
TBLPROPERTIES (
  'classification'='parquet', 
  'spark.sql.create.version'='3.0.0-amzn-0', 
  'spark.sql.sources.schema.numParts'='1'
)

Thanks for clarifying :smiley:

Redash is only meant to run SELECT queries. It has no capability to display non-tabular results (might be a nice feature request though :wink: )

1 Like

Sounds great!
Could you please help me with how can I come up with the feature request? :slight_smile:

Sure :smiley: Just create a new topic in the Feature Requests portion of this forum. In your post body, please describe the feature briefly. Something like “Add a way to show non-tabular results from queries”. You can even use your example from Athena to illustrate that you would like a way for Redash to display this kind of information.

1 Like

The request has been created :tada: :smiley:
Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much! After the V10 release we’ll look to organize feature requests into a working plan for what to pursue and in which order.

1 Like