SQL query error: "Error running query: Worker exited prematurely: signal 6 (SIGABRT)."

Issue Summary

I am attempting to migrate our Power BI dashboards to Redash. Testing in a self-hosted docker container. I am fetching data from an Azure SQL server with a SQL query that I know should return about 100K lines of data. Works fine in SSMS. When running the same query in Redash I get:

Error running query: Worker exited prematurely: signal 6 (SIGABRT).

What might be the reason for this, and how to address the issue? I see several similar posts on the topic, but they are inconclusive and did not help me pinpoint the problem.

Technical details:

• Redash Version: 8.0.0+b32245 (a16f551e)
  • Browser/OS: Chrome / Win 11
  • How did you install Redash: Docker image built from src

Cheers, Mike

It sounds like your query runner ran out of memory and crashed. Try adding a LIMIT 1000 suffix or TOP 1000 prefix to your query to see if that succeeds (not sure which dialect Azure SQL uses).

Although there’s a lot of common ground between them, Redash isn’t a drop-in replacement for PowerBI or SSMS. 100k lines of data is a lot more than Redash is designed to retrieve. Redash is a tool for visualising results that have already been aggregated by your database.

You can boost the amount of RAM available to your docker containers, which would potentially allow a query with 100k rows to succeed. But the moment you load this in the web application the browser tab will probably crash.

Hi jesse,

Thanks for your reply. I will take into consideration that Redash may not be the best replacement for Power BI.

After writing this post I did manage to retrieve around 100K lines of data with a slightly different query, and it ran reasonably well imbedded in an iframe. So, apparently It’s not a PC hardware limitation or a Redash related software limitation that caused the issue.

I will attempt to assign more CPU and RAM to the Docker environment and see if this helps.

I will post the solution here I if I find it, but please be free to comment if you have experienced something similar.

Cheers, Mike

1 Like