We’ve recently updated the experience for Data Sources and Alert Destinations (currently only available in Redash Preview:

With this, some discussion related to the Test Connection feature appeared in #3470 so I’m bringing it up to the forum.

My suggestion for this is to automatically run the connection test when creating a data source, then lead to 2 scenarios:

• Connection success: Inform the user with a notification and save it;
  • Connection failure: Show the error with a dialog and offer to either Save it anyway or go back to edit setting data;

Now that we have a dialog with Steps for Data Source creation we can alternatively add a new step for this.

Here’s a quick mockup if what I had in mind:

After clicking “create” in step 2, ds is created and automatically moves to step 3, where connection is tested immediately, “done” button disabled.

If successful, the dialog closes and a notification appears “{Data Source Name} created successfully”.

If connection test failed, error message:

And if retried and succeeds, dialog doesn’t close automatically, message appears, “done” button enabled.

When test connection fails, in many cases the user might want to edit the settings and only then retry. The suggested flow doesn’t support this flow as they will need to go back a step and then try again.

As a side note: currently there is a technical limitation for supporting this: you can’t test unsaved settings. The API will need to be updated to support this.

they will need to go back a step and then try again.

To me this seems like an acceptable ux flow, knowing that the test automatically executes when edit is saved.

One alternative, is to close the modal after creation but have the test connection feedback in the list page, allowing to iterate on the data source from it’s edit page:

:+1:. My first idea was to automatically perform the test in this step.

The problem with it is that it will create the idea that we are constantly checking connection status and providing it

As @gabrieldutra mentioned, we don’t run these all the time for all sources. Also, after creating a data source you land on the data source page (where you can do the connection test).

Today this page is just the edit form. I see a future where it isn’t, and it will make sense to have a “is alive” section where you can easily test the connection and see feedback.

Also, keep in mind, when someone creates a data source they want it there regardless if at the moment it might not work. So saving it by default is ok.

The problem with it is that it will create the idea that we are constantly checking connection status and providing it

after creating a data source you land on the data source page

Right. Abandoning.

So perhaps this:
Keep the modal as is, add auto-test to new Data Source page visit.

That way it’s future proof with no ux regression.

@gabrieldutra @arikfr wdyt?

It doesn’t feel really necessary on every DS page visit. Maybe when opening the page for the first time after creation? And on save?

The biggest improvement to this flow is to not hide the error message automatically, which @gabrieldutra already implemented :+1:

Maybe when opening the page for the first time after creation? And on save?

I wrote new Data Source page visit.
And yeah, “on save” is great as well.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay :grimacing:, but yes, it seems the simplest approach to this as it won’t require any backend changes (just need to track redirects from creation) and “That way it’s future proof with no ux regression.” in case we eventually decide towards replacing the Dialog.

1 Like