Thoughts on adding support for queries with parameters in query results data source

Hey all,
following this thread with great interest, is there any progress / status update on implementing this feature in an upcoming redash (beta) version @arikfr ?

Im afraid I will run into the same problems as @leshik if I apply the patch that @ariarijp posted…

I explored this option in the past, but at the time I think it needed Cython to run. I did another try now and while it didn’t work with Ubuntu’s Docker image it did work with the python:2 Docker image (which @jezdez started porting our base image to anyway ).

Creating a table function will definitely be much better than what we do now.

Unless I miss something we can create a generic query_result table function that takes query id (and optional parameters) instead of creating a query specific function. We will probably need to support the query_<id> format for some time for backward compatibility, but we can implement it using our current method.

Giving this another look, it looks like TableFunction need to declare its parameters during definition. So maybe we should create a specific function for each query? :thinking:

Either you declare each source query, perhaps according to a configuration on the data source as I suggested earlier, or you declare a single generic query_result() as you suggested. That query would accept two parameters:

• The query id
  • A json string parameter as suggested by @ariarijp

In either case, for backward compatibility, you can do a simple regex replace on old queries, trading query_xx for query_result(xx, {}) (or query_xx()) before executing the query with sqlite.