Issue Summary

What is needed to update redash from 8.0.2.b37747 to 10.1.0.b50633 when it runs in an AWS ECS cluster

Technical details:

• Redash Version: 8.0.2.b37747

• Browser/OS: Chrome/OS X

• How did you install Redash: terraform into AWS ECS. TF code references "container_image = “redash/redash:8.0.2.b37747"”

• The person that deployed the redash cluster no longer works for the company. I have found the TF mods/code, but I have read about ‘manage db upgrade’ going from v8 → v10. Do I simply reference the new version of the docker image (10.1.0.b50633) and run a terraform plan and apply? Also, the Postgres backend is an AWS serverless Aurora Postgres cluster running 10.14. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have done updates of redash v8 → v9 on an AWS AMI. That was straightforward due to ample documentation. This is much more vague

1 Like

One other thing… I had to edit the /etc/postfix files on the AWS AMI to enable email notifications. Docker’s default network is 172.16.0.0 (if i remember correctly). I had to allow email for that subnet for postfix to forward to my company’s MX relay. Is there anything that can be done to enable email alerts/notifications when you have redash running on an AWS ECS cluster?

You need to do two things:

1. Update the Docker image ECS uses.
  2. Run migrations with the new image. I’m actually not 100% sure how to do this on ECS - this really depends on how you use ECS.

You can configure the email server to use with env vars:

Env Var Default Value
REDASH_MAIL_SERVER localhost
REDASH_MAIL_PORT 25
REDASH_MAIL_USE_TLS false
REDASH_MAIL_USE_SSL false
REDASH_MAIL_USERNAME None
REDASH_MAIL_PASSWORD None
REDASH_MAIL_DEFAULT_SENDER None
REDASH_MAIL_MAX_EMAILS None
REDASH_MAIL_ASCII_ATTACHMENTS false
1 Like

Hi Arik,

I am familiar with the env vars for email on the redash side. However, I have found that there is some config necessary on the OS for redash to send email. I have not looked at the docker image for redash to know if you use Ubuntu or Alpine as the OS. I am going to guess Ubuntu since that was the OS from the AWS AMI. Still wondering if there is any container ‘OS’ config that needs to happen for email.

I will see what I can do to get the update to work on ECS. I am super fuzzy on how to handle the db migration.

Thank you!