Updating Redash from v8 to v10 on AWS ECS

Issue Summary

What is needed to update redash from 8.0.2.b37747 to 10.1.0.b50633 when it runs in an AWS ECS cluster

Technical details:

• Redash Version: 8.0.2.b37747

• Browser/OS: Chrome/OS X

• How did you install Redash: terraform into AWS ECS. TF code references "container_image = “redash/redash:8.0.2.b37747"”

• The person that deployed the redash cluster no longer works for the company. I have found the TF mods/code, but I have read about ‘manage db upgrade’ going from v8 → v10. Do I simply reference the new version of the docker image (10.1.0.b50633) and run a terraform plan and apply? Also, the Postgres backend is an AWS serverless Aurora Postgres cluster running 10.14. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have done updates of redash v8 → v9 on an AWS AMI. That was straightforward due to ample documentation. This is much more vague

1 Like

One other thing… I had to edit the /etc/postfix files on the AWS AMI to enable email notifications. Docker’s default network is 172.16.0.0 (if i remember correctly). I had to allow email for that subnet for postfix to forward to my company’s MX relay. Is there anything that can be done to enable email alerts/notifications when you have redash running on an AWS ECS cluster?

You need to do two things:

1. Update the Docker image ECS uses.
  2. Run migrations with the new image. I’m actually not 100% sure how to do this on ECS - this really depends on how you use ECS.

You can configure the email server to use with env vars:

Env Var Default Value
REDASH_MAIL_SERVER localhost
REDASH_MAIL_PORT 25
REDASH_MAIL_USE_TLS false
REDASH_MAIL_USE_SSL false
REDASH_MAIL_USERNAME None
REDASH_MAIL_PASSWORD None
REDASH_MAIL_DEFAULT_SENDER None
REDASH_MAIL_MAX_EMAILS None
REDASH_MAIL_ASCII_ATTACHMENTS false
1 Like

Hi Arik,

I am familiar with the env vars for email on the redash side. However, I have found that there is some config necessary on the OS for redash to send email. I have not looked at the docker image for redash to know if you use Ubuntu or Alpine as the OS. I am going to guess Ubuntu since that was the OS from the AWS AMI. Still wondering if there is any container ‘OS’ config that needs to happen for email.

I will see what I can do to get the update to work on ECS. I am super fuzzy on how to handle the db migration.

Thank you!