Hello! My understanding is that “unpublished” queries should only be visible to the user that created them… but I’ve got a user (only in the default group, no admin or developer privileges) who can see them all. Any thoughts on a setting to change or whether this is a bug? Screenshot attached.

Additionally, updating the query titles of unpublished queries automatically publishes them… is that the expected behavior?

Thanks for any input!

Your understanding is correct, although it’s not meant as a privacy mechanism but more as a way to keep WIP queries away from cluttering the view for everyone. There are some exceptions, in which we show you unpublished queries, one of them is search. I can imagine why this can be useful, although not 100% sure what was the reason for this :flushed:

Yes. This to simplify the publishing workflow, but you can disable this behavior via an environment variable setting (REDASH_FEATURE_AUTO_PUBLISH_NAMED_QUERIES).

Many thanks for the response! I’ll change the environment variable, and I can see how showing all queries in search might be a desired result.

This actually was raised as an issue in our organization because some users prefer lists/searching for queries to using the dashboards but we have so many of them that things are getting pretty cluttered. It would be really helpful to have a file structure or some other way to organize queries in addition to the dashboards.

Instead of un-publishing I’ll archive as many as possible to clean things up. Thankfully it looks possible to un-archive using the API (if there’s also a way via the UI please let me know, haven’t been able to find it).

Stay tuned for updates about this.

When you archive a query we also remove all visualizations, so not sure if this is what you want.

Stay tuned for updates about this.

Awesome, look forward to hearing more. :tada: Appreciate the steady improvements and also the responsiveness of the Redash team, very helpful.

When you archive a query we also remove all visualizations, so not sure if this is what you want.

In many cases yes, but definitely thanks for the heads up!

I can’t find the answer for but I’ve got a user (only in the default group, no admin or developer privileges) who can see them all.
userA and see userB’s unpublished queries. This looks wired!

1 Like