We just released the beta version of the v9 release. Along with various improvements and bug fixes, this version brings few important behind the scenes changes:

• The backend codebase was updated to support Python 3. For those of you who are using our Docker images, this is a transparent update for you. Those who don’t use Docker, will need to install Python 3.7 on their hosts to run the new codebase.
  • Also on the backend we replaced Celery with RQ. This will require some adjustments to your setup (see instructions below), but we hope it will bring better stability to queries execution. We are still learning and improving our operational knowledge around RQ, but so far their codebase was much easier to understand and maintain than the Celery one.
  • The frontend migration from Angular to React is done and this release has only React dependencies.

We been running the backend codebase with Python 3 and RQ for a few months in production now with little issues. The frontend codebase was running in smaller production environments for 2-3 months with little issues and in our production environment for about a week.

We did find an issue with dashboards that have many parameters (a fix is being implemented here), but other than that it was mostly stable.

Beyond these behind the scenes changes, you will notice an updated Query Results page, new visualizations options for tables and charts, 4 new Data Sources (Amazon Cloudwatch, Amazon CloudWatch Logs Insights, Azure Kusto, Exasol) and multiple improvements to existing ones. Including a new ODBC based connector for Databricks that results in better performance and stability.

For a full list of changes, we encourage you to checkout the CHANGELOG.

As always this release wouldn’t be possible without the help of our community. This version had contributions from over 50 people :pray:

Upgrading

Typically, if you are running your own instance of Redash and wish to upgrade, you would simply follow the Upgrade Process. Since RQ has replaced Celery in this version, there are a couple extra modifications that need to be done in your docker-compose.yml:

1. Under services/scheduler/environment, omit QUEUES and WORKERS_COUNT (and omit environment altogether if it is empty).
  2. Under services, add a new service for general RQ jobs:
worker:
  <<: *redash-service
  command: worker
  environment:
    QUEUES: "periodic emails default"
    WORKERS_COUNT: 1

Following that, force a recreation of your containers with docker-compose up --force-recreate --build and you should be good to go.

8 Likes

:clap: great stuff!

Is https://github.com/getredash/setup going to have a v9 branch too?

Definitely, once we have a final release of v9.

Great news!
When do you expect to announce v9 as stable-release?

Definitely, once we have a final release of v9.

I’d happily roll it out internally and do some testing, but the changelog doesn’t line up with the compose file in the redash repo (and “This configuration file is for the development setup. For a production example please refer to getredash/setup repository on GitHub.”)

I was wondering if there is a timeframe to release v9? Thanks.

4 Likes

@arikfr I was wondering if there is an eta for v9 stable? Thanks again.

4 Likes

@arikfr happy new year. Just wondering if you guys have a plan for the v9 stable release?

4 Likes

I’m sure the redash team is working tirelessly but it would be great if we can have some docs or a migration guide along with any fixes that’ve been put into place. It seems as if open source Redash is in a stuck phase and focusing more on the hosted solution. If the hosted solution is already using v9 I fail to see why it wouldn’t be certified as GA with some docs in the repo.

3 Likes

@arikfr any updates on when a v9 stable release would come out? We’re debating if we should just upgrade to beta or wait for a stable version.

5 Likes

@arikfr would also appreciate any rough timelines as to when we might expect v9 to come out of beta? Is this likely before the summer?

4 Likes

V9 is stable. The final release will be identical to the beta.

We’re working on the next release. Should happen this summer.

There will be lots more news on this in the coming months to be announced on the forum.

6 Likes

Actually I don’t think v9-beta is stable enough. There were small fixes i had to do before it could work. Maybe the docker image has those fixes though. Not sure

What fixes? Is there an issue in github or elsewhere on the forum for it?

We also ran into several issues when trying to upgrade to the beta, and found that the latest beta release does not include a few bug fixes that are merged into master but never released.

Also the helm chart does not support v9 yet and though there is a WIP PR, it’s not been updated since June 2020 - WIP: Changes required for redash v9 by jimsparkman · Pull Request #36 · getredash/contrib-helm-chart · GitHub

Which fixes are you referring to specifically?

These: Fix CLI command for "status" by jimsparkman · Pull Request #4989 · getredash/redash · GitHub

Awesome thanks. Looks like this just missed the Beta cutoff on 16 June. Will see about incorporating this into the final release. @Shitij does this match your experience?

So I had 2-3 small issues. Nothing major.

1. Redash V9 Beta Docker Version Queries And Dahboards Seem Very Broken · Issue #5213 · getredash/redash · GitHub
  2. I got errors with apiclient imports in google bigquery runner. Had to replace it with googleapiclient.
  3. When running npm build I got caniuse errors where browser support was missing for notifications in ios 10.3. Had to disable eslint-loader.

If you think a github issue would be helpful for these, I’ll gladly create.

Can you make issues for 2 and 3?